Sunday, September 11, 2011

11 Septiembre, 2011

I laugh, I cry, I wonder, I love
that all of us transition together, alone but together
I believe one big challenge for me this year is realizing how to combine what I experience every day, some things known as home combined with things I've never really been exposed to
Starbucks and machismo
Bananas and the Spanish language
Nike and bustling mercados
Corn flakes and mariachi
American friends and living with extended families
Kindles and scorpions
Televisions and poverty
All overlapping and literally in one place, so familiar but so foreign, like how can these things possibly fit together?
It's such a disconcerting comfort, I don't know what to do with myself.
I expected to leave – to go far away – to lose myself
But I am still here, not quite sure of how to be lost.
Maybe to be lost is to feel completely unsure, so blindly dependent, but still present.
Or perhaps it's always happening, any uncertainty and any discomfort, no matter how strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment