Thursday, September 15, 2011

15 Septiembre, 2011

Today is Day 1 (of 2) of Mexican Independence Day. This is the actual day independence was achieved but the news wasn't shouted from the town's center until the 16th. Apparently everywhere is a big party tonight – it was bizarre for me to attend spin class this morning because 3 of the ladies were wearing Mexican jerseys and everyone was really pumped and yelling and Mexican pride music was being blared out of the speakers for the entire class. Everyone just looked so happy and I was trying to also, but it just doesn't mean much to me. I kept trying to imagine that it was the 4th of July, because that's always exciting right? But it's not the 4th of July. Though I bet everyone is excited to see friends and family. That's probably where the true excitement of Independence Days comes from. Strange to be in a place where Independence doesn't mean independence for you. I also wonder what Independence means for Mexico versus what it means for the US, especially in current years. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure I know what Independence Day means for the US in modern context. That we can live in comfort? That we can go out after dark? That we have access to college educations? I don't know about you but I don't think about that stuff on the 4th of July.
Thank God for family and friends. The world is an incomprehensible place.

No comments:

Post a Comment